Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sushi...

Tonight I made Sushi for the very first time.  OMG it was so good.

So I decided that since it was my first time, I wanted to make sure that it was easy and not involved a lot of prep-work.

What I used was Avacado, mini Peppers, and Spinach.



I made sure that they were cut thin.

Using 2 cups of short grain rice, you want to rinse the rice in a bowl first before cooking. This is done to wash the rice, rice is a bit dusty after all. As you are washing the rice the water will become a bit white, this is some of the starch on the surface of the rice being cleaned off. Repeat with clean water again. 

When you finished rinsing the rice, fill the a pan with the rice, and 3 1/2 cups water.
Then set heat to medium, and cover the rice and cook for about 15-20 minutes checking the rice after 15 minutes first to see if it is done. (Don't over cook it.)

When the rice is done, pour into a bowl.. The pros use a Bamboo bowl, but for now you can use any bowl. (I used a cheap Dollar Store Bowl)

Now what I did... 




Then I mixed in another bowl: 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 2 tsp Sugar



Pouring a bit of the water into the rice 1/4 cup. I then started to cool down the rice by moving my spoon around cutting into the rice. 

Adding a bit more water I continued to cool down the rice. to about 90 F.

Now heres the tricky part...

Since I did not have a bamboo mat, I just had a sheet of Tin foil folded  in half to give it strength. 
I placed the Sushi sheet on the foil, and then took a 1/3 cup of rice, formed into a ball and then pressed it onto the sheet covering most of the sheet except about a 1/2 inch at the top 

Then I began to roll pushing in the middle of the roll and lifting the foil just enough as I roll to keep the foil from rolling into the roll. ( LOL hate tin foil taste)



I then finished up the roll. 


Then again I set about cutting the roll into even portions.



YUMMMM!!!

I steamed off some mixed vegetables and put some spices of Garlic, fresh ground pepper and a pinch of salt. along with some chopped Spinach Cause I love my greens.  

And the finished plate....


so try it out. its worth trying to do things by scratch. A sense of accomplishment when something that you never did before actually turned out good. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome! I saw your link form the Mosaic Sushi video on youtube and decided to check your page out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete